The second of three large Georgian storehouses to be built during the Dockyard expansion from 1760 and previously known as Middle Store. Stores were taken in from the eastern side facing the road and taken out on the western side facing the Camber dock, where they were loaded onto small boats for onward transmission to ships in harbour.

During the Second World War an incendiary bomb destroyed the original clock tower and damaged the southern part of the building.

In 1992, as part of complete re-roofing works, we replaced the clock tower and found and reinstated the original weathervane. The project was formally inaugurated by HRH The Prince of Wales in August 1992 and received two awards: Europa Nostra 1993 and the Portsmouth Society’s Best Restoration of the Year 1993.