Porter’s Garden

Return to our buildings

As part of the Renaissance of Portsmouth Harbour Millennium scheme, the garden now occupies the space where the original Porter’s Lodge garden (established in 1708) once stood. It extends from the historic site to the former car park adjacent to Boathouse 5 on the north side of College Road.

Open year-round, visitors are welcome to enjoy the gardens, which are meticulously maintained by the Friends of Porter’s Garden. Since 2000, these dedicated volunteers have cultivated plants and shrubs commonly found in the 18th century, following a design outline crafted by landscape architect Robert Camlin.

The garden’s authenticity and beauty were recognized when it won first prize for Most Attractive Garden in the Portsmouth & Southsea in Bloom competition of 2002. Notably, the garden’s entrance is adorned with a wrought iron gate forged by Southsea blacksmith Peter Clutterbuck, installed in March 2002, with a matching pair added in April 2003.