The original building (known as 1/10) was a guard house, constructed against the Dockyard wall. The building developed throughout the 19th century and in 1909 it was extended further and the windows facing south onto Queen Street were inserted.

From 1951 the building served as Police quarters until the Mary Rose Trust took occupation in 1986 for use as offices and artefact storage.